Thursday, June 28, 2007

Opening (Reopening)


I am an Organic Gardener. I live in southern NJ in zone 6b. My soil is very sandy and I have alot of shade. I use horse manure from a local horse farm for most of my fertilizer (mainly to help hold moisture). I add fish emulsion occasionally. I mulch with composted leaves and grass clippings.


We got 1.1" of rain last night and a two hour thunder and lightning show (too bad it was after my bed time to enjoy it). The rain had perfect timing, I was about to water the gardens tonight.


Back in April (28th)I planted two rows of string beans, one row of wax beans, a row of lima beans and about 130 onions (sets). About 60% of the string beans came up but none of the lima or wax beans. In May I replanted the Lima and Wax Beans and had about 10% germination (even using black plastic mulch). In early June I pulled them all out (all 10%) and replanted with more string beans. On June 23rd I picked my first beans.


In late May I planted 12 pepper plants and 40+ tomato plants (only purchased 30, the rest came up on their own). I had a hard time finding the varieties of peppers and tomatoes I wanted, so I think from now on, every year I am going to start my tomato and peppers from seed.


This Spring I purchased some perennials and planted them along the fence garden. I purchased Butterfly Weed (pink and orange), Bee Balm, Spiderwort (blue and white), White Bleeding Heart, Columbine (two kinds), Cardinal Flower (Lobelia) pink and red, Sedum and six different varieties of Iris.


I have plenty of Orange Tiger Lillies and two different varieties of Iris going strong as well as shasta Daisies and Gloriosa Daisies. I have been trading them to a friend who has been giving me hosta.

No comments:

Post a Comment