Sunday, March 21, 2010

Notes for March 21, 2010

Yesterday I finally broke Spring.  After my morning errands I was able to work in the yard.  It was unfortunate that I did not get home until 11 and that kind of shot half the day since we had dinner plans.  Anyway, I did stop at my local garden center and it being the first day of Spring, I walked into a 20 percent off everything in the store sale. woo hoo!  I had a $50 gift certificate so I bought a 24 pound bag of bone meal, a shut off valve for the hose (squeeze type) and a hand rake (18" long), and I still had $6 left.

When I got home I turned the onion bed after adding bone meal, wood ashes and leaves.  Then I planted yellow and red onions.

While shopping earlier this week I found a purple daylily on sale and bought a pack of three.  I then planted them after the onions and learned the old lessons that unless its a new flower bed, you really shouldn't plant new perennials until May.  In the first spot I wanted to plant it, I ended up digging up a hosta that hadn't sprouted yet.  So I changed strategies and planted them in spots where the marigolds were and still needed to be cleaned out of the flower bed.

After that I started cleaning up the yard of fallen branches and got two thirds of the front yard done.  Then I ran out of steam.

No comments:

Post a Comment