Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Notes for Monday August 17, 2009

I watered the veggies last night, (haven't had much rain since the beginning of last week). We had a couple of small showers late last week but it wasn't much.

I can't believe I haven't seen any hornworms yet this year. I checked my records and last year I saw them as early as July 15. Because of June's weather my tomatoes are about a month behind, maybe the same for these ugly buggers?

Last night while I was talking to my neighbor out in the yard, I saw a humming bird visit the Agastache Rupestins. It's a three foot tall weedy looking perennial that I started from seed a couple of years ago. They have a slender cylindrical flower similar to Bee Balm but is a pale orange in color. That was the first time I saw a hummingbird visit it. I wonder if they frequent it or if he was just checking it out?

I will be on vacation next week at the Jersey shore enjoying some much needed down time. When I return and now that I am caught up with all the regular seasonal gardening chores, I plan on starting to remove an 8 year old stump by axe and shovel.

2 comments:

  1. Wet weather can impact insect populations, notably butterflies and moths. Up here in Maine, it's been bad for butterflies, far fewer reports of them out, so I would say hornworms (sphinx moths) have been affected too.

    ReplyDelete