Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Notes for April 6, 2010

Yes I am delinquent in writing...
 
Friday, Good Friday I took off from work.  I picked up some wood ashes from an aunt and uncles house (ok it was three five gallon buckets).  And I stopped at the gas station and refilled the gas can from the shed.  When I got home I ran the mower over the leaves that had fallen in the veggie garden until it was a fine mulch.  Then I put down a fine layer of bone meal, covered it with a healthy layer of wood ashes and then covered that with a layer of finely mulched leaves (from the finely mulched leaf pile from behind the shed).  Then I rototilled the garden in one direction then the other.
 
On Saturday, another beautiful day, I first planted radish and spinach and I am trying a row of lettuce too.  After planting I finally got the ladder out and took down the outdoor Christmas lights that had been waiting for a warm sunny day to be taken down.  Next I cleaned out the fallen leaves from the flower beds in the front yard, used the leaf blower to blow them into the grass and then mulched all the leaves remaining in the front yard, picking them up with the bagging mower.
 
On Sunday, yes Easter Sunday, when I probably should have been taking a nap, I started my tomato and pepper seeds indoors (about two weeks late this year).  This year I am using peat pots to reduce plant damage during transplant.  I also bought the cheap aluminum baking pans to put the peat pots in to keep them from falling over and to keep any excess moisture contained.

No comments:

Post a Comment