Monday, November 23, 2009

Notes for Monday November 23, 2009

On Saturday I was able to finish mulching the leaves in my yard.  Most of the trees have finished dropping their leaves while a few remaining trees will gradually lose them throughout the winter.  So until the next wind storm blows them in from my neighbor across the street, I am caught up.  I asked my son to help me and he was able to give me an hour and that helped.  I didn't have to do the complete front yard, there weren't that many leaves.  I was able to blow the leaves into smaller areas so I didn't have to do the whole front yard.  The areas in the back yard were thicker with leaves because I wasn't able to get to them the last few weeks so I ran them over with the mower a few times before I bagged them.  This makes nice finely mulched leaves and I pile them separately.  I use the finer leaf mulch to turn under in the veggie garden and to mulch in tight spaces (like my onions).  So right now all three of my leaf compost piles are over flowing but in another months time they will have settled about a foot.
 
I still have radishes and carrots to pick and I will be picking them on Thursday.  I test picked a carrot on Saturday and it looks like I will have a bunch of baby carrots for snacking on Thanksgiving.  Hopefully this variety will be sweeter.

No comments:

Post a Comment