Monday, March 14, 2011

New Season 2011

Yes, it has been too long. I have another hobby and that has taken the place of writing.  I have been researching the family tree but the garden has started its call.
 
Yesterday was my birthday and on Saturday my wife and I went to the Philadelphia Flower show.  I have wanted to go for years and finally did.  Now that I have done it, I don't have to go again.  About half was displays and the other half was vendors.  It was crowded especially when people have to take a picture of their friend in front of some flowers etc and you have to walk around the person who has backed up to take their picture. Grrr.
 
Sunday afternoon I did work outside for a little while.  I went around the yard and picked up the branches that fell during the winter.
 
Then I came inside and started the tomato and pepper seeds.  I started three varieties of peppers (New Ace, Fat N Sassy, and Parks whopper).  I planted the seeds in the cardboard/peat pots so I won't disturb the roots when I transplant so I can just plant the whole thing.  The pepper pots are sitting on a seed growing heating mat and under a grow light.
 
I have four different varieties of tomatoes seeds planted (Celebrity, Early Girl, Juliette and Park's Whopper).  They are also in peat pots and under grow lights.
 
Next weekend I hope to get started in the garden and till it and maybe even plant onions.  I have to get the onions first as well as a large bag of bone meal.  I already have three 5 gallon buckets of wood ashes (from an aunt and uncle).  I think I even have some left over from last year.  So I will add wood ashes, bone meal and composted leaves to the garden and till it.  This year I have a composted pile of leaves that I didn't use last year so I may use that instead of the pile of finely mulched leaves.  Speaking of leaves I have plenty more to pick up.  I wish I had one more weekend last fall to clean up the leaves and of course the winter winds brings in a bunch more.  I have some daffodils wondering when I am going to take off their blanket of leaves.  I also have some in bloom up next to the house.
 
I did hear the spring peepers one night last week, so its not too far away now.

2 comments:

  1. That's right, rub it in. I still have several feet of snow and a garden is a far distant dream.

    Over the summer a cousin of mine came down from Montreal. We went over some old family photos and gossip. It was a great experience, so had any good family happenings have come out of your search?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seem to be the only one interested in my family except for the older aunts and uncles on my wife's side that don't live nearby. If I have done my research correctly, I do have some interesting family stories on my side (a Mayflower pilgrim, a scottish indentured servant granted freedom in Maine, Oliver Cromwell's army doctor fleeing with family and a possible murder of a great great great grandfather). Other than that, my children now have a boat load of cousins they never knew they had.

    ReplyDelete