Monday, March 28, 2011

Winter holds on?

Winter came back this week, making it uncomfortable to work outside so not much got done this weekend.  I did however get something done outside Sunday afternoon.  Mainly out of necessity.  Two of our dogs have been digging holes in my onion patch looking for the bone I buried (in the form of bone meal).  So I looked in the shed and I did have a couple of partial rolls of chicken wire and luckily I had one that was long enough and fenced in my onion patch.
 
All but one of my tomato seedlings have sprouted (one cell did not germinate at all).  But since I planted two seeds per cell, I have plenty extra to transplant to the empty cell.
 
I am again struggling with the pepper seeds.  I have them in the peat pots and in an old baking pan on top of the warming mat.  I have been watering them twice a day and I have only one germinating so far.  Two years ago when I first used the mat and a plastic six pack, I think I had them all germinating in 10 days (today is day 15).  Which just makes me more frustrated because I have poor luck getting peppers before September.  And I have been trying to grow early varieties (but you can't get them in the store as plants).
 
And the family is busy next weekend (at least Friday and Saturday) leaving me to work outside but if you look at the forecast... I will be working inside again instead of outside in the rain...(I know its still several days away and it will probably change 6 times before Friday, but its still depressing).

No comments:

Post a Comment