Sunday, July 5, 2009

First beans and cukes

My other day lillies have started to bloom. I planted this one last year.


Thursday afternoon I had a large dead oak tree cut down. It died last summer. I don't know what from. Gypsy moth caterpillars were really bad two years ago and this tree did survive that but then died a few months after spring started last year. I wanted the tree service to it cut down on Friday when I had the day off but it was a cash deal and they finally called me back Thursday afternoon while I was work and said we'll be there in a half an hour. Wouldn't have been a bad day if my wife's car battery hadn't died when she tried to move the car back in the driveway after the tree was cut down.

I had Friday off and I got a bunch done before we went to some local fireworks. I picked the first picking from the first green beans. ( We had them for dinner tonight in a green bean casserole at my brother's house celebrating the 4th and mom's 82nd birthday. They were good). I then tied the tomatoes and trimmed their suckers. The third green beans started to sprout a few days ago.

I finished mulching flower bed #4 and then mulched all of flower bed #5 and began mulching #3. Before I mulched #5, I planted some more marigolds, zinnia and cosmos in flower bed #5. Yes I know I am going out of order but these two gardens needed more attention first (they're the youngest) flower beds 1, 2 & 3 are closer to autopilot.

With the tree down I had to install a post in the ground for the birdfeeder. One end of the hanging wire was attached to the dead tree. I bought a 10 ft 4x4 post a couple of weeks ago in anticipation. I also installed several new posts for the clothesline and removed the hooks from the trees.

This afternoon I watered the veggie garden and the recently planted marigolds, zinnias and cosmos. I really don't like to water in the afternoon but the family schedule left me no choice since we were going to dinner at my brother's house and this morning I did make it to church. After I watered I noticed that I could pick several cucumbers and I ended up picking seven. So this weekend I picked the first fruits of green beans and cukes. Yummy!

4 comments:

  1. I am jealous! Cucumbers! Congratulations! My cucumber plants are pretty small yet. My boys can't wait to pick and eat them right there, in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, Dave, that's a BEAUTIFUL daylily! I love the really bright contrasting-eyed ones like that. You've been busy with all that mulching! The weather this past weekend was perfect no? Got loads of weeding done here and now I have to get around to watering...especially the veg garden...Lucky you with the first cukes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tatyana - I really tried to get them earlier this year. I started them indoors and transplanted around Memorial Day.

    Lynn - I still have plenty of mulching left. The family schedule didn't allow me to do much on Saturday or Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you say South Jersey ?
    Very cool !!
    You're the only other blogger(other than myself) I know from southern NJ.

    Boy, you are really busy !!
    I remember seeing tons of Gypsy moths nest in the trees along the parkway. No damage here...sorry to hear about yours.

    I'll have to follow up on the results of your hard work.

    ReplyDelete