Thursday, July 9, 2009

Notes for July 12, 2009

Here is a pic of the veggie garden, beans in the front hiding the peppers, tomatoes tied to the tall stakes and cukes in the back on their own fence.

Here are the beans in the front. Each row was planted three weeks apart (the family complained when all three rows had to be picked at once). I started picking last week so I will be picking each week for the next seven which puts me into September. The first row (on the right) I picked their second picking yesterday and I filled two one gallon bowls.


This flower bed has mostly annuals. Our cold winter this past year was down to the negative numbers and the winter winds buried it with a foot of leaves that I was unable to dig out until late and so all but a few volunteer daisies survived. I replanted some volunteer daisies in the back with zinnias in the middle and some marigolds in the front.

Yesterday in addition to the second picking of the first green beans, I picked 12 cukes. Then I tied and trimmed the tomatoes and finished mulching the third green beans. Next week I will pull the first green beans and replant lima beans. When the second green beans are done I am thinking of planting spinach and the third will be replaced with radish. My tomatoes will be super late this year because of the cooler wet June. I will have some grape tomatoes in a few weeks but the bigger varietties will be into August.

Last night Mother Nature smiled on me and provided 0.75" rain, otherwise I was going to water today. Unfortunately is was a noisy rain complete with light show which the thunderstorm proximity alarm didn't like (the 80 lb Golden Retriever) so we had company in bed with us from 1 AM to 2 AM.

3 comments:

  1. Garden looks great! A trick up here is to bury the plants you want to save from one year to the next is to lay down enough hay until it's about 6 inches deep, then pile your leaves over top,(keep them planted in the dirt). That should prevent freezing.
    My radishes are done, too wet and now they are going to flower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden looks lovely... mine is slowly being decimated by our resident groundhog.

    How do you deal with them? Is your fence buried a foot deep?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luckily I don't have any ground hogs. They call for more drastic measures or at least trap and release some where else.

    I installed my fence four years ago. It was mainly to keep the dogs out (3 ft high vinyl coated fence on cedar posts). Two years ago this wasn't good enough to keep out rabbits (since the openings were 2" x 3"). So I installed another fence. I attached a chicken wire fence to the inside of the original fence using plastic zip ties. I made sure I buried the bottom three inches and so far its worked for the rabbits. Unfortunately it doesn't work for chipmunks and they can climb over anyway. I planted sunflowers three times and each were eaten quickly after sprouting this year.

    ReplyDelete