Thursday, August 14, 2008

Notes for August 14, 2008


Here is a picture of my Hosta I bought at a roadside stand. This is the one I split when I planted it and the smaller split died. This one seems to be doing better.

I cut my grass last night (or maybe I should say I shortened my crabgrass, but at least my yard is green). Since we haven't been getting enough rain when the yard needs it, there were some areas that I didn't cut last night (just really didn't need it). And to my surprise, my 19 year old son came out and helped me (I have two mowers. My mom gave me hers when she downsized to an over 55 community and has a service do her lawn). Well we got the other mower started (I like to start it up several times a year to keep it running so I have it as a back up, its a smaller one so I don't use it that often) and we plowed through the thick crabgrass.

I did notice something last night in the veggie garden. I have mentioned before that I have a problem with growing peppers in that I don't pick any until September. I am pretty sure it is because they only get about 3 to 4 hours of good sunlight and since they are a tropical plant they need more. But come September the plants decide that they aren't going to get more sunlight so they decide to start making peppers. In September I pick a bunch of small to medium peppers (the size of one is good to cut up for two salads). So anyway, last night I noticed that I had a medium sized pepper growing on one of my plants and its only mid August! Then I remembered that I had planted two varieties of peppers this year to experiment. I grew Parks Seeds "Whopper" and Totally Tomatoes "Fat and Sassy". The "Fat and Sassy" had a shorter maturation time. And guess what, the plant with the pepper was the "Fat and Sassy". I also noticed that the F&S plants had little peppers in the blossoms where the Whopper only had blossoms. So it looks like next year I will continue with the F&S. But I am thinking of moving them into the area where I grow my beans (I think it gets more sun there).

No comments:

Post a Comment