Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Finally Fall?

It appears and feels like it is finally fall.

Sunday morning I emptied the rain gage with 1.5" (which was from Thursday, Friday and Saturday). It cleared up Saturday afternoon and the sun came out. The wife sent me to the nearby convenience store for some rolls for dinner and I went in shorts, a Tee shirt and flip flops. It was still that warm. Saturday night it went down into the 50's and stayed in the 60's on Sunday. On Monday morning when I got up it was 31. Luckily I had heard the day before of a frost warning and I picked the remainder of my tomatoes.

I also picked some radishes, a little bit of spinach and about a dozen small to medium sized peppers and those were my only peppers this season. Still I had a salad last night with some peppers and it was good.

Sunday afternoon after church I mulched all the leaves in my yard and bagged them up and filled my compost piles. I will use this for mulch next year. My piles are filled but will settle and every week I will add more as will fit and as my yards needs cleaning from leaves.

While I mulching, I did notice that I was getting a fair amount of grass clippings in with the leaves. We've had some warm temperatures and some rain so I shouldn't be surprised, but it is the end of October. I also noticed the areas where I put down grass seed this past spring was doing fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment