Monday, July 16, 2007

Mulch, mulch, mulch

During the first part of the weekend, I got out of the way the required routine chores (trimmed the suckers off the tomato plants, tied the tomato plants and cut the grass). Then I worked on my "to do" list. I did alot of mulching this weekend (but I still have more). That picture I recently posted of a daylilly, you can see bare earth in the picture but I finally got that flower bed mulched. I use my compost pile of ground up leaves and grass clippings.

Before I could mulch some areas I had to weed the flower bed, so I did some weeding too. The buckets of pulled up weeds also went to the compost pile and are on the bottom of next years pile. I also did some trimming to the mini white rose (the one that grows like a weed), trimmed the forsythia and pulled out every bit of mint I found in this one evergreen bed. I am sure I missed some and it will come back. Every year or two I pull the heck out of it and it comes back. I enjoy its smell. I also found a hosta I thought I had lost. I hadn't it was just under the weeds.

I picked a bunch of cherry tomatoes and my first two cucumbers this weekend.

Sunday I planted about half of the perennial seedlings that I started back in April (indoors). About a month ago I moved them outside and they have been sitting on a small table near my veggie patch since. I did learn one thing this year about starting seeds. The plants where the grow light was closest looked the healthiest. So next year I will sit the grow light right on top of the seedlings. Not sure what perennials I will try next year but I am sure to grow my tomatoes and peppers next year. Anyway, I planted Centaurea, Agastache Rupestins, Primrose, pyrethrum and pincushion. I had chose these based on growing height, soil type and sun light requirements that fit my yard (mostly shade and poor sandy soil, although I have a couple of spots that a couple of hours of good sunlight). With each plant I mixed in a trowel full of composted horse manure. I have a bucket and a half left. I get a truck full each spring mainly to use in the veggie garden and then use the rest in flower beds as the summer progresses. Tonight I hope to finish mulching.

No comments:

Post a Comment