Saturday, June 20, 2009

5-4-3-2-1-speed marigold planting

Well the weather radar looked like it was going to give me a few hours of time this morning but I forgot to check it again right before I went outside. I got about 45 minutes. It was just enough time to tie up the tomato plants and start to speed plant the yellow marigolds in between the tomato plants before in started to pour. Okay I did get a few other things done. I transplanted four volunteer tomato plants replacing four very small tomato plants that weren't growing well for what ever reason. The volunteers were about 4 to 5 times larger than the ones I dug up. I also planted several cosmos along the fence of the veggie garden. I worked about ten minutes in a light drizzle before I had had enough. This afternoon I emptied 0.35" from the rain gauge. Just after dinner we had a couple of downpours.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Dave-
    I guess the NE has been really soggy and cool this spring (almost summer) - so I hope you have some sun and heat soon.

    It was in the mid-90's here today --yuck. But my beans, tomatoes, peppers, and squash are looking good, along with everything else. Hope your transplanted tomatoes do well.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. We didn't really get April showers this year and it feels like we are getting them now. I'm probably going to use that in my next blog entry. Its forecasted to be soggy all week. I wanted to plant my third green beans yesterday but I don't want them to go to mush before they sprout. I have had very good luck with transplanting tomatoes in the past. Its hard to part with volunteers that are larger than the planted ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our tomatoes look pretty pitiful this year,
    between the cool rainy weather, and some
    trees a neighbor planted a while back finally being big enough to shade our yard.We are already eating green beans though so all is not lost. ;-)

    ReplyDelete