Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Notes for June 23, 2009

Two years ago I bought a 6-inch pot of Bee Balm...its taking over (tiger lillies to the right and a butterfly weed to the left).

Here's the Butterfly weed a little closer.


Here are two Sedums. I like the larger sedums. I lost three this winter. The three I lost were just as big as these were and when I raked out the winter leaves, they were gone. They have since come back but you have to look real close to see them.


My yellow Stella is in bloom. This is the same one that is on the top of my blog. (I know, it needs some mulch and it will get some when its stops raining long enough).


Here is my white Yarrow in bloom. I read once that the smaller the flower, the more beneficial insects they attract.



Both Saturday and Sunday I saw a "First". We bought our house in 2000 and until this weekend I had not seen in my yard... two chipmunks at the same time. This year I have seen more chipmunks than in any years past, but I hadn't seen more than one at any one time. On Sunday I saw two male cardinals near my feeder. There was one male on the feeder and a female on the hanging wire. Then another male landed on my neighbors fence and then landed on the wire. The female then flew off in the direction the second male came from and then the second male flew after her. Kind of made me think that the female was hanging around with the wrong male and her mate chased her home. :-)




2 comments:

  1. Hi Dave, I couldn't link to your blog from the photo in my Follow List so I'm glad you left a message for me to link to. What town are you in? I see your archives date back to 2007 so you are a blogging pro...lol. I'm glad that you now have pictures to share!! Do you have deer problem like me?
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in south central Burlington County. I had a blog somewhere else and got wind that they were closing it so I copied over all my entries one at a time to here (it took a couple of weeks). The blog is mainly for a journal to keep track of my garden trials and errors. Luckily I don't have a deer problem but I have friends not far away that do. We see deer in or near our yard several times a year but they haven't began feeding here. I think having a dog helps.

    ReplyDelete