Thursday, June 25, 2009

Another two tenths!!??

When will it stop? I don't want it to stop altogether but it would be nice to have a few dry days in between! I emptied another 0.2" from the rain gauge this morning. But this rain shower has a little funny story to go with it. My son drove to the local school to go jogging around the track and got caught in last night's shower. I joked with him and said I see you got your shower already. He said "I think my socks are the only thing that might be dry."

Here is a picture of my cukes. I have them planted on a 5 foot inner fence and a piece of white fencing on a frame that some one gave me. To the right are two of my compost/leaf piles. We don't have leaf pick up in our township and I don't have a place to dump them so I pick them up with the lawn mower (weekly in October and November) and dump them into the cinder block contained piles and use the leaves for mulch. The back one is nearly empty and the one in the front I haven't started to use yet. the third pile is located behind my shed and is in just a fence but it is leaves that have been twice ground (or run over more than once before bagging them with the mower). I use the finer mulch to turn under in my gardens.


Here is a picture of my tomato plants. You can see that the paths are mulched but I haven't finished mulching in between the tomato plants (I just planted the marigolds in between when it started raining). Mulching is next on the list.


Here are two rows of green beans planted 3 weeks apart with room for a third to the left where the weeds have taken over (there were radishes there but they are finished). Right before I mulch I will probably plant the third row of beans. Hopefully this weekend but the grass needs cutting too. There is a row of pepper plants to the right of the larger green bean plants. The weather has been nice to the beans and they are larger than in past years. The empty twine trellis in between was for my sunflowers but something ate all three attempts to plant them (I strongly suspect Chip N Dale chipmunk).

2 comments:

  1. I had some sun yesterday, then followed by some downpours. This keeps up, my garden will be plowed under.
    It's good to see some pictures Dave, I might put some up of my little plot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your vegetable garden is looking great! I wish we'd had some of your recent rain here. It's been over 2 weeks since our last good downpour.
    Lisa

    P.S. I wouldn't be so pleased with our big rabbit if s/he wasn't in the front meadow!

    ReplyDelete