Friday, June 19, 2009

Notes for Friday June 19

I emptied 0.8" from the rain gauge this morning (this rain started Wednesday night).

As I emptied the rain gauge I did do a quick check of the veggie garden.

- Tomatoes are ready to be tied again.
- Three tomato plants could/should be replaced with larger volunteers.
- First green beans flowering, second coming along nicely, must check diary for when to plant third (did check, tomorrow is three weeks, so could plant third this weekend).
- Marigolds, zinnia and cosmos are of nice size ready to plant.
- At least one cucumber plant has a flower.
- Some cucumbers have attached themselves to the wrong fence (not a real problem unless a cucumber grows in a hard to reach spot between the outer fence and the cucumber fence.
- There will be NO sunflowers this year. All have been eaten.

Between the family schedule and the constant rain (no I don't live in Seattle, that's the joke going around here), I'm not sure when life will grant me some time in the garden this weekend. One forecast I saw this morning shows rain/showers from now until next Friday. We are definitely above average for the month of June but we are still behind for the year. We had a very dry January and February and April showers really didn't happen until May.

No comments:

Post a Comment